[FWTools] s-57 question

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 10:09:02 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 14:56:04 +0000, James Goodwin
<James.Goodwin at sea.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm looking for a tool to read S-57 files - preferably in C++.  I would then use the loaded data to either display a chart using my own code - or again finding a tool to do this.
>
> Is there "free" tool out there?

James,

The short answer is that the OGR library can be used to read S-57 feature
information but not display it.  The OpenEV application (which does use S-57)
has display capabilities but does not display according to S-52 (or any useful)
chart conventions.  There is an OpenEV plugin called OpENCView that does
much better but it is not distributed with FWTools at this time.  See
the following
thread for elaboration.

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6256802&forum_id=4815