[FWTools] using FWTools; need to recompile mapserv

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 16:52:29 EDT 2005

On 6/3/05, Jeff de La Beaujardiere <jeff2005 at svs.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I am using FWTools 0.9.8. I just discovered to my horror that mapserv is
> limited by default to 200 layers in order to minimize allocated memory.
> However, I am establishing a server that gets ~25 new layers per day,
> and I recently passed that measly limit. I will be able to reduce my
> requirements somewhat (say, to ~8/day) when I merge individual satellite
> granules into swaths, but that will not be a long-term solution.
>
> Immediate question: when recompile the mapserv source code after editing
> map.h to boost the layer limit, is there anything else I need to change
> in map.h (or elsewhere) to maintain compatibility with other FWTools
> elements?

Jeff,

As you have discovered, it is not necessarily easy to rebuild mapserver
and retain compatibility with the rest of FWTools. I have not made a
careful effort to include all the include files for underlying packages
(such as GD) with FWTools on Linux.  You are likely best producing
your own mapserver with a cut down set of dependencies - just what you
need.

> Longer term question: is mapserv really suitable for a large-volume
> server, or should I be searching elsewhere? I specifically need WMS
> support for raster images, and mapserv seemed to be better than other
> packages I looked at.

I think you may find some degredation from an efficiency and manageability
point of view if you start using MapServer for many thousands of layers.
However, I wouldn't give up on it too soon.

You might also consider keeping your layer information in a database, and
implementing a modest mapscript application to read the approrpriate record(s)
for a particular request and build a corresponding mapObj to serve from.

Do you really want to return capability documents with many thousands of
layers?