[FWTools] ESRI shapefile

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Oct 1 19:38:08 EDT 2005

On 9/27/05, Frances Collier <fcollier at preparedresponse.com> wrote:

> Is there a known bug when translating data from postgreSQL to an ESRI
> shapefile?
>

> I am trying to do it using a sql statement as follows:
>

> >ogr2ogr –f "ESRI Shapefile" skamaniacounty.shp "PG:dbname=dcmms
> host=localhost user=postgres password=password" –sql "select * from
> wacounties a, wacounties b where b.county_nm='Skamania' and a.wkb_geometry
> && b.wkb_geometry and distance(a.wkb_geometry, b.wkb_geometry) = 0;"
>

> After a few moments I get a Microsoft Windows error report popup stating
> that ogr2ogr.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Frances,

For what it's worth, I don't know why these two cases behave differently
or why you are getting the crash you are.  There has been a bug fixed
that can affect postgres "-sql" results.  When FWTools 1.0.0a3 is produced
it should have the fix.  That could possible fix your issue though it seems
like a long shot.