[FWTools] python conflict when using gdal_merge.py Windows XP

kmenke at edac.unm.edu kmenke at edac.unm.edu
Fri Oct 28 11:58:41 EDT 2005

Hi
I'm trying to run FWTools on a Windows XP Pro box with ArcGIS installed.
ArcGIS comes with Python 2.1 and FWTools comes with Python 2.3.

When I run gdal_merge.py I recieve the following error.

ImportError: Module use of python23.dll conflicts with this version of
Python.

I've tried uninstalling Python 2.1 and PythonWin 2.1 that came with
ArcGIS.  However, when I attempt to run gdal_merge.py I get a Windows
message box that opens saying "windows cannot open this file:
gdal_merge.py.

What should I do to get this set up to run correctly?

Kurt

Kurt Menke
Bird's Eye View
3016 Santa Clara SE