[FWTools] missing _gdal.dll on Windows XP install

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 7 16:51:20 EST 2006

On 2/7/06, Brian Timoney <brian at thetimoneygroup.com> wrote:

> All:
>
> After multiple installs/re-installs I keep getting an error when referencing
> ogr.py in the '/pymod' folder via a CGI script in Apache of " import _gdal\r
> ImportError: DLL load failed:  The specified module could not be found".
>
> Not having any better ideas, I attempted to regsvr32 the _gdal.dll (which I can
> see in Windows Explorer) in my pymod folder manually and received an error
> message that "The specified module could not be found."

Brian,

Do you have SetEnv calls in your Apache config setting
all the required environment variables?   This would
presumably include:

 o Adding FWTools<version>\bin and FWTools<version>\python
    to the PATH.
 o Putting FWTools<version>\pymod in the PYTHONPATH.
 o You may find you also need to set GDAL_DATA, PROJ_LIB,
     GEOTIFF_CSV, and GDAL_DRIVER_PATH as done in
     FWTools<version>\bin\setfwenv.bat.

Generally speaking, when I want to use FWTools MapServ.exe
on windows, I put a .bat file in cgi-bin that runs setfw.env and
then runs mapserv.exe.  I haven't actually tried using python
cgi-bin's on Win32.