[FWTools] Raster warp

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 6 17:24:23 EDT 2006

Craig Leat wrote:
> Hi All
>
> FWTools 1.0.0 (Windows)
>
> I have a raster image (MrSid), which is georeferenced in Lat/Lon and uses
> the WGS84 datum. The image is a scanned topo map. I need to change the
> georeferencing to the South African grid (Hartebeesthoek94 / Lo31,
> EPSG:2054). Would gdalwarp be the correct utility to use?
>
> Gdalwarp appears to support my grid because code 2054 is listed in the
> pcs.csv file, but PROJ.4 does not appear to support this grid. My next
> question: Is gdalwarp dependent on PROJ.4, as I get a PROJ.4 error when
> using gdalwarp? The error is: "Failure to initialize PROJ.4".

Craig,

Gdalwarp is indeed built on top of PROJ.4, and currently I am not clear
on how to handle TM "South Orientated" in PROJ.4.  So even though
EPSG:2054 is known to OGR it isn't usable.

I suspect that Transverse Mercator South Orientated would is just an axis
re-orientation from Tranverse Mercator, but I don't have an easy way of
doing that currently.  Though this has been on my list of things to do
for some time.