[FWTools] Calculating ground distance from altitude and focallength : off topic

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Dec 20 18:18:45 EST 2007

David -

You can simplify things by just comparing the sensor "image" size to the
ground distance based on the photo scale (focal length / altitude) - no
pixels needed.

However, you're well within the realm of orthorectification issues, if
you're viewing a 1,000-meter-wide area from an altitude of about 1,200
meters.  You're viewing the edges of the photo frame at an angle of
arctan(500/1200) = about 23 degrees, so things are getting non-linear
already.  Your apparent image will be wider than the (presumably)
orthorectified image in your GIS, so a 36-mm-based size of 803x1200
seems plausible.

You might want to look up the specs on your lens, as a "24mm" lens is
sometimes (not often) not exactly 24mm.  You might also want to check
the exact focal length conversion specs for your camera, although those
seem to be hard to find.  Since a 35mm negative is 36mm by 24mm, the
size of your CCD would indicate a scale factor of about 1.52 for the
focal length conversion.

-          Ed