[FWTools] OpenEV needing sde91.dll - not found?

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed May 9 12:33:59 EDT 2007

Hello Sjur,

The error is annoying but harmless unless you need to access ArcSDE data
stores. If you don't need to access SDE simply re-install fwtools and
don't check the acrdsde plugin box.

Using the ArcSDE Raster plugin requires 3 dlls (sde91.dll, sg91.dll,
pe91.dll) from the ArcSDE SDK from ESRI to be in %PATH%. If you have any
ESRI products installed you likely have those somewhere in "C:\Program
Files\ArcGIS" or "C:\ESRI\AV_GIS30" already.

If you don't own any ESRI programs with these dlls you'll need to
purchase a Software Developers Kit. For v9.1 it used to be called
"ArcSDE Developers Kit". With v9.2 they've renamed and moved everything
about so I'm not sure what you need to buy, probably a subscription to
the ESRI Developers Network but you should talk to someone who knows for
sure before whipping out your credit card.

Frank/Howard: I suggest the name for this plugin in the installer window
be changed from "ArcSDE Raster" to "ArcSDE Raster (requires extra
software)" or "ArcSDE Raster (see SDE-ReadMe.txt)" or similar to avoid
confusion with new users.

Long term, it would be better to be able to install plugins seperately
from the main fwtools bundle. I'm thinking of the way it is easy to
add/remove python modules like ipython independantly from python itself.

cheers,

--
matt wilkie
Geographic Information,