[FWTools] Open EV crashes when opening shape files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 7 10:54:52 EDT 2008

Rengifo Ortega wrote:
> Hello  I am pretty new but very interested in learning more about open
> EV. I do not know if this is a bug... but whenever I try to open shapes
> in Open EV it collapses and closes. Have someone heard about the same
> problem and its possible solutions.

Rengifo,

Can you explain how large you mean by large?

OpenEV loads all the feature data from shapefiles into memory and the
in memory representation can be substantially larger than the on disk
representation.  It is also possible there is something particular about
the geometries in your big shapefile, and one of them is crashing the
tesselator.  This does happen sometimes.  Launching OpenEV with the -h
switch *might* help if this is the issue.

Generally, I'd like to establish whether the issue is with running out of
memory or some OpenGL thing.