[FWTools] Overviews using TIFF? TIFF size error ... Need BIGTiff?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Aug 16 16:33:07 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Lance Dyas <lancelot at inetnebr.com> wrote:
> Not sure if this is the right group to ask.....
> GDal supports BIGTIFF  atleast in gdal_translate
AppendToStrip:Maximum TIFF file size exceeded
> ERROR 1: TIFF> http://resenhagis-en.blogspot.com/2008/04/gdal-with-bigtiff-support.html
> but Apparently based on errors I am getting the BuildOverviews method on a
> dataset doesnt use it?
>
> ERROR 1: TIFFAppendToStrip:Maximum TIFF file size exceeded
> ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 1, Y block offset 191
> is there an option to force it to BIGTIFF in this context
>
> Im still wondering if there is another way to get nice subsampling..
> when reading from an image and writing to a smaller one besides
> creating the Overviews..

Lance,

I *suspect* the base file was created as classic tiff, but the overviews
pushed the file size over the 4GB limit.  There is no way (with libtiff)
to transform a classic tiff file into BigTIFF "in place".  You could try
translating the base file to BigTIFF by adding the -co BIGTIFF=YES
creation option for gdal_translate.  Then gdaladdo ought to work.