[FWTools] Problem running mapserv binary from cgi-bin

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:12:36 EDT 2008

Hi fellow-Frank-followers,

I'm trying to run mapserv (in FWTools which is installed under my home dir)
from /var/www/cgi-bin dir via a symlink.  The link in /var/www/cgi-bin looks
like this:
mapserv -> /home/randre/local/FWTools-2.0.6/bin_safe/mapserv

I'm able to execute the program through the symlink from the command line,
but when I try to access it from a web page, I get a permission error in the
browser, and the apache error log reports, "Symbolic link not allowed".
I've read that I need to add "Options" to my Apache2 httpd.conf file to
enable SymLinks, but I guess I'm still missing the ones that matter.

Below are the settings I have in my httpd.conf for cgi-bin:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride ALL
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI Includes
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi               # probably isn't needed

In addition, I've tested that a script named "test.py" which is located
directly in the cgi-bin dir can run properly.  Have you got any suggestions
I could try?  Below is the error that is reported in the error log:

Symbolic link not allowed: /var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv

Thanks,

Roger