[FWTools] Problem running mapserv binary from cgi-bin

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 21 15:37:31 EDT 2008

Roger André wrote:
> Hi fellow-Frank-followers,

> Below are the settings I have in my httpd.conf for cgi-bin:
>
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
>
> <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
>     AllowOverride ALL
>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks ExecCGI Includes
>     Order allow,deny
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> AddHandler cgi-script .cgi               # probably isn't needed
>
> In addition, I've tested that a script named "test.py" which is located
> directly in the cgi-bin dir can run properly.  Have you got any
> suggestions I could try?  Below is the error that is reported in the
> error log:
>
> Symbolic link not allowed: /var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv

Roger,

You are sure you restarted apache after making the change right?  I'd
think it would work.

However, the other thing you can do is just copy the mapserv from the
FWTools/bin_safe directory to your cgi-bin directory.  The bin_safe/mapserv
is just a small script with hard coded paths and it should work from anywhere.