[FWTools] GEOS update request

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Aug 22 14:04:33 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>> Hi Folks / Frank,
>>
>> Current version of FWTools 2.0.6 for Linux includes GEOS 3.0.0rc1.
>> What do you think about updating to GEOS 3.0.0 and releasing new
>> FWTools?
>>
>> The RC1 is very old and there has been number of fixes between RC1
>> and RC5, and final 3.0.0. I use FWTools to build Quantum GIS. It
>> also is used as dependencies provider in OSGeo Buildbot, so I'd be
>> happy if it has GEOS 3.0.0. For instance, QGIS does not build with
>> FWTools 2.0.6 because of lack of important fixes included in the
>> stable version.
>
> Mateusz,
>
> I'll try and update FWTools to use the GEOS built for OSGeo4W in the
> next release.  I believe this is 3.0.0 final or perhaps even slightly
> newer 3.0 branch stuff.

Frank,

Cool, thanks.

> I would however like to discourage people using FWTools as a base for
> other binary distributions.  OSGeo4W is a much better environment for
> this sort of thing.

I've considered OSGeo4W but doesn't seem to do the job I need.
I use FWTools as all-in-one provider of dependencies for Quantum GIS,
libLAS, etc. I use it on Linux and Windows. FWTools package works very
well with OSGeo Buildbot, helping to keep host OS clean and not messed
with number of *-dev packages.

It seems OSGeo4W could do the job, but...lack or portability to Linux
prevents me from using it.

So, if FWTools will end its life in future, I'll probably take over the
maintenance responsibilities myself and try to update, at least, Linux
version.