[FWTools] GEOS update request

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Aug 22 12:17:24 EDT 2008

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi Folks / Frank,
>
> Current version of FWTools 2.0.6 for Linux includes GEOS 3.0.0rc1.
> What do you think about updating to GEOS 3.0.0 and releasing new FWTools?
>
> The RC1 is very old and there has been number of fixes between RC1 and
> RC5, and final 3.0.0. I use FWTools to build Quantum GIS. It also is
> used as dependencies provider in OSGeo Buildbot, so I'd be happy if it
> has GEOS 3.0.0. For instance, QGIS does not build with FWTools 2.0.6
> because of lack of important fixes included in the stable version.

Mateusz,

I'll try and update FWTools to use the GEOS built for OSGeo4W in the next
release.  I believe this is 3.0.0 final or perhaps even slightly newer
3.0 branch stuff.

I would however like to discourage people using FWTools as a base for other
binary distributions.  OSGeo4W is a much better environment for this sort of
thing.