[FWTools] encoding with ogr2ogr

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 09:40:05 EDT 2008

Joseph Berry wrote:
> HI,
> I'm trying to use ogr2ogr to convert a shp to kml. my shpefile contains
> hebrew carrecters - the convertion results with SHIBRISH -
> is there a possibility to use a schema encoding (such as ISO8859-8) ?

Sephi,

The KML driver is hardcoded to product UTF-8 and expects that as input.

Unfortunately, the shapefile driver does not know how to recognise the
input character set and there are no options for transliteration in
ogr2ogr.

It might be practical for you to just manually edit and modify the
encoding setting at the top of the produced kml file. Otherwise you
would need to somehow else convert the shapefile attributes to utf-8
to get a valid kml file.

This is a known problem with the shapefile driver, but there is currently
no schedule for correcting it.