[FWTools] OpenEV and system freeze

Hernán De Angelis dhdeangelis.listas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:05:39 EST 2008

Hi all,

I am frequent (and happy) user of OpenEV, and have used it for about
two and a half years now. I normally use it to visualize rasters or to
digitize on them using shapefiles. From time to time, however, I
experience a very annoying situation, particularly when opening big
rasters or manipulating large and complicated vector layers: the whole
system freezes and there is no way out of that rather than swtiching
off the computer by brute-force. I have tried all possible
combinations (Alt+F4, Alt+sysrq+B, etc) but nothing, switching off is
the only working solution. Of course, after that extreme measure the
last unsaved changes are lost, so I painfully learned to save the
vector file after every single digitized polygon or so. I have
experienced this problem with several versions of the operating system
I use (SuSE 9.1, 9.3 and all versions of openSUSE until 10.3), using
several versions of FWTools. Is this a known issue? Is there any
solution or is a part of the "OpenGL / Mesa" issues?

Thanks

Hernán

--

Hernán De Angelis