[FWTools] OpenEv is not working on Linux Red Hat 5.

Tuan Giang tuangiang74 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 19:57:16 EST 2008

Thank you all for your input. You're correct. I invoked remotely the OpenEv command from DOS command prompt. It's working fine when I use xterm.

  Thanks again.

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
  Tuan Giang wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I generated the NITF files from jpeg images using the "gdal_translate"
> command. I like to view the generated NITF output files but the "openev
> -h" command is not working on this machine. I wonder if you guys
> have came across this problem before. It would be great if you guys can
> provide some advice. Thanks.
>
> [giangt at cluster-dev2 FWTools-2.0.4]$ openev -h
> Setup for user installed hardware acceleration
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/home/giangt/fwtools/FWTools-2.0.4/bin/../pymod/openev.py", line
> 80, in ?
> import gviewapp
> File "/home/giangt/fwtools/FWTools-2.0.4/bin/../pymod/gviewapp.py",
> line 136, in ?
> import gtk
> File
> "/home/giangt/fwtools/FWTools-2.0.4/lib/python2.2/site-packages/gtk.py",
> line 29, in ?
> _gtk.gtk_init()
> RuntimeError: cannot open display

Tuan,

I imagine this is an X Display issue. Are you running openev on a different
system from the one that is your display system? Perhaps you need to run
"xhost +" on your host system, or fix your DISPLAY environment variable to
point to the right place.

On the off chance that is not the issue, you might also try running openev
without the -h switch for using hardward acceleration.

I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at pobox.com
and watch the world go round - Rush | President OSGeo, http://osgeo.org