[FWTools] libtiff assertion failure

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 8 16:18:38 EDT 2008

Matthew Williamson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Having an annoying problem with Linux FWTools. I have some GeoTIFFs that
> I'm trying to use with MapServer's shp2img, but it dies with the
> following error:
>
> tif_dirread.c:4670: TIFFFetchNormalTag: Assertion `0' failed.
>
> Actually, opening the file in OpenEV or even running gdalinfo on the
> file produces the same error, and the program dies.
>
> Interestingly, I ran gdalinfo.exe from the Windows version of FWTools,
> and it worked fine, but gave the following warning:
>
> Warning 1: TIFFFetchNormalTag:ASCII value for tag "Software" does not
> end in null byte
>
> ...so I'm guessing this is what's causing the problem under Linux. The
> files were created by jNexradExplorer, so I'll email the author to see
> if he can fix it at that end. But is it possible to have the tools warn
> instead of die on this error? Or, is there something I can do to fix the
> files as a workaround (a way to strip or rewrite the "Software" tag,
> perhaps)? This is all part of a scripted batch job, so I'd need to be
> able to repeat it from a script.

Matt,

I would be interested in having one of these files to analyse.  FWTools
uses libtiff4 which has a bunch of new assertions that may be overly
sensitive.  Likely it is due to some other specialized tag not meeting
some expectation.

Windows builds apparently don't suffer from this because I happened to
compile the assertions out.