[FWTools] Starting with FWTool

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 09:52:32 EDT 2008

Faizan Tayyab wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Can anyone provide me with python code (OGR) for
> reading the geometry of a polygon shapefile. I am able
> to obtain the geomerty reference but am unsure how to
> read the geometry. I am planning to use matplotlib to
> visualize the geometry.
>
> Anyone already done this????

Faizan,

I'm not aware of a direct example, but:

   http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/swig/python/samples/vec_tr.py

has logic to walk through any kind of geometry that might be helpful.

Basically, a polygon geometry will consist of a top level object that
contains one or more rings accessed using geom.GetGeometryRef().  Each
ring will contain 3 or more points accessed using GetX(), and GetY().