[FWTools] Starting with FWTool

Faizan Tayyab faizantayyab at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 13:10:12 EDT 2008

Hi,

 Thanks for the help. I am trying to do the following:

map = ogr.Open( str, update = 0 )

where str holds the complete path but

I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python24\My Programs\GISI.py", line 39, in
OnOpen
    x.f(dialog.GetPath())
  File "C:\Python24\My Programs\GISI.py", line 7, in f
    map = ogr.Open( str, update = 0 )
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\osgeo\ogr.py",
line 3092, in Open
    return _ogr.Open(*args, **kwargs)
TypeError: in method 'Open', argument 1 of type 'char
const *'

If i hard code the file path liek
c:\something\somthing\.... then it works fine.
Can anyone tell me why the ogr.open doesnt like
variable holding a string as parameter.

http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/swig/python/samples/vec_tr.py