[FWTools] Problematic install of fwtools on Windows

Peter Vogt peter.vogt at jrc.it
Wed May 14 15:52:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

I spent 2-3 hours on trying to install fwtools on a Windows machine, got
startup errors for OpenEV complaining about missing dlls, googled
around, tried another 8 different versions of fwtools until I finally
figured out that I simply had to delete the
C:\WINDOWS\sytem32\gdal_fw.dll which originated from an apparently not
well designed uninstall of tiles2kml I tested more than half a year ago.
By now I know that this is a well-known problem but it was not at all
obvious from the error messages.  So, after deleting this file the
installation of FWTools220.exe went fine but I wonder if it is possible
to include in the installation procedure a check for this culprit to
help others in a similar situation.

regards,
-peter