[FWTools] Problematic install of fwtools on Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 14 10:25:09 EDT 2008

Peter Vogt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I spent 2-3 hours on trying to install fwtools on a Windows machine, got
> startup errors for OpenEV complaining about missing dlls, googled
> around, tried another 8 different versions of fwtools until I finally
> figured out that I simply had to delete the
> C:\WINDOWS\sytem32\gdal_fw.dll which originated from an apparently not
> well designed uninstall of tiles2kml I tested more than half a year ago.
> By now I know that this is a well-known problem but it was not at all
> obvious from the error messages.  So, after deleting this file the
> installation of FWTools220.exe went fine but I wonder if it is possible
> to include in the installation procedure a check for this culprit to
> help others in a similar situation.

Peter,

That is an excellent idea.  I'll look into a mechanism to check for DLL
names that conflict with what is in \windows\system32 and at least report
them to the user as an issue.

This is an issue for FWTools, and will also affect OSGeo4W which uses a
similar approach and thus be quite sensitive to conflicting DLLs.