[FWTools] ogr2ogr kml to shape conversion problems

Travis Kirstine traviskirstine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 16:33:16 EDT 2008

I having some difficulty converting large kml files to esri
shapefiles.  I have no difficulting converting a tile index with
~100,000 features to a kml however converting the kml back to a
shapefile just seems to hang.  ogrinfo does not even work on the kml
file.

shp -> kml works
ogr2ogr -f KML tileindex.kml tileindex.shp

kml -> shp fails
ogr2ogr ogrtileindex.shp tileindex.kml

I tried just using the ogr api just retrieve kml geometryref() to
create the new file but I had the same results, the script hangs as
soon as I open the kml file.

Is there a workaround or is this a limitation of the kml driver?

--
Travis K.

Toronto, Canada