[FWTools] Re: FWTools 2.2.8 for Windows released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Oct 30 10:33:59 EDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have prepared an FWTools 2.2.8 release for windows.  This is based on
> GDAL as of early this afternoon and should be nearly identical to GDAL/OGR
> 1.6.0 beta1 which I intend to release this evening.   One other point of
> note
> is that it includes Klokan's updated gdal2tiles incorporating a lot of
> improvements over the summer.
>
>   http://home.gdal.org/fwtools/FWTools228.exe

Folks,

It turns out there was some confusion about the requirements for
the new gdal2tiles.py.  It turns out it depends on the "next generation"
Python bindings which FWTools does not use so the new gdal2tiles.py does
not actually work.

There is no planned solution to this so OSGeo4W's "gdal-dev" package is a
more appropriate pre-built solution for those wanting to use the new
gdal2tiles.