[FWTools] Problems with "unable to open datasource"

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 07:54:10 EST 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Christian Andersen
<christianhelring at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m using the FWtools (2.2.8) trying to convert a shape file to mapinfo
> using the command "ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" test.shp test.tab".
>
> Unfortunately I´m getting the error, "unable to open datasource" when trying
> to convert. I have tried with chancing the caseletter etc. with no luck. And
> as far as I can see FWtools should be able to handle shapefiles in the
> "pre-compiled" edition.

You say you are trying to convert to a MapInfo file so you need to specify:
  -f "MapInfo File"
and the order of your files is wrong. The correct order is:
  destination_name   source_name
Try:
  ogr2ogr -f "MapInfo File" output test.shp
which should create a new directory 'output' containing the MapInfo files.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com