[FWTools] Compile FWTools on Solaris (sparc)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 16 13:08:40 EST 2009

Gregory Yetman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have managed to get GDAL compiled on one of our Sun development
> machines, it was surprisingly easy to do. I would like to get FWTools
> working as well but as far as I can tell this would require compiling
> all of the packages as the Linux binaries are x86. Has anyone done this
> or is there a good resource for working through the process?

Gregory,

Building GDAL, PROJ, and MapServer should be fairly straight forward
on Sparc Solaris.  Building OpenEV is also possible, but it has a lot of
antique dependencies that are hard to put together (GTK1, PyGTK, and the
opengl components).  I think you should consider a bit how badly you
want to do this!  There are old Solaris binaries of OpenEV that might
work on your system though they are using a somewhat old copy of GDAL.

(see http://openev.sf.net for solaris binaries)