[FWTools] Strange error on simple SHP->KML conversion

Sandy Ward sandy at homezilla.com
Wed May 13 09:24:20 EST 2009

Hi all,

I have been using FWTools for a while with almost no problems. For the last three days, I have been totally
stumped on this problem. After having converted many SHP files to KML, I found a SHP file that I can't fully convert.

Here is the command I run:

C:\Program Files\FWTools2.3.0>ogr2ogr -f "KML" c:\csd\output4.kml c:\csd\gcsd000a06a_e.shp

I get this error:
<this error repeats a ton of times>
ERROR 1: Error in fseek() or fread() reading object from .shp file.
ERROR 1: Error in fseek() or fread() reading object from .shp file.
ERROR 1: Error in fseek() or fread() reading object from .shp file.
More than 1000 errors or warnings have been reported. No more will be reported from now.

The files I am trying to convert are coming from a Government of Canada website. I have been able to convert all the other files I download from them.

You can get the exact files I am using here:
http://www.garybettmansucks.com/data/gcsd000a06a_e.shp
http://www.garybettmansucks.com/data/gcsd000a06a_e.dbf
http://www.garybettmansucks.com/data/gcsd000a06a_e.prj
http://www.garybettmansucks.com/data/gcsd000a06a_e.shx

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I am totally stumped and can't find anything on Google.

Thanks,
Sandy