[FWTools] Converting Oracle Spatial to Esri Shapefile with ogr2ogr

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Feb 18 14:45:20 EST 2010

Gary Look wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to convert a table in an Oracle Spatial DB to an Esri shapefile.
> Can someone point me to an example of how to do this with the ogr2ogr
> tool?

Gary,

Example:

   ogr2ogr out_shape_dir OCI:scott/tiger at ordb

> Does support for Oracle Spatial come out-of-the-box with the fwtools
> suite?  I ask because when I run ogr2ogr, I think I specify the
> datasource as OCI:<username>/<password>. However, doing this gives me an
> error message saying that ogr2ogr cannot find an OCI driver.

No, FWTools does not include oracle spatial support.  You would either
need to build your own GDAL/OGR with oracle support, or perhaps use
another environment like OSGeo4W which supports an oracle plugin.

It is difficult to provide OCI by default because we can't distribute
the proprietary Oracle OCI client libraries.