[FWTools] Intro and just getting started

Frank Harris phrankharris at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 15:16:30 EST 2011

Hi all,

I'm an intern at NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center, doing image
processing work on level-2 MODIS data.  Until now I've been using
ENVI+IDL to try and write an automated script for running
reprojections on it.  However, just now, my mentor decided I should
change to using the MODIS Reprojection Tool for reprojection and GDAL
for changing the format and separating bands.  My session is over in
two weeks, so this is a bit of a monkey in the works.

My primary processing machine is a small server running Red Hat 4.  So
far, I've managed to get FWTools installed on it using the
instructions listed on the FWTools website; unzipping, running
install.sh and adding the PATH to my bash profile.  My big question
is, now what?  I would like to use the gdal_translate function, but I
can't find any man pages or documentation, and the gdal_translate
command is not found.

Thanks so much for your help!

- Frank