[FWTools] DWG to SHP conversion - "unable to open datasource"

Carmelo Consiglio cconsiglio at spi-imp.it
Mon Feb 27 06:33:32 EST 2012

Hi everybody.
I need to convert some autocad .dwg files to ESRI Shapefiles.
Someone on the web suggested that gdal/ogr2ogr was able to perform such conversion, even if only with .dwg files version 2000 or before.
My problem is that in my environment gdal/ogr seems not to be able to access .dwg.

In fact when I run
> ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" destfile.shp sourcefile.dwg
I get the following error:

FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `ANZIO_TOP2000.dwg' with the following drivers.
  -> ESRI Shapefile
  -> MapInfo File
  -> UK .NTF
  -> SDTS
  -> TIGER
  -> S57
  -> DGN
  -> VRT
  -> REC
  -> Memory
  -> BNA
  -> CSV
  -> GML
  -> GPX
  -> KML
  -> GeoJSON
  -> GMT
  -> ODBC
  -> PGeo
  -> XPlane
  -> AVCBin
  -> AVCE00
  -> Geoconcept

To assure it wasn't a syntax error, I tried to run the simple command:
> ogrinfo sourcefile.dwg
and I got the same output.

I am using FWTools 2.47 for Windows.

Am I missing something?