[Geotiff] How can users participate in additions to the current GeoTIFF spec leading to the next official specification?

Niles Ritter ritter at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 17 23:19:43 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 19:04 -0500, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> On 11/7/05, Nagle, Gail A (US SSA) <gail.nagle at baesystems.com> wrote:
> > As a member of the GeoTIFF user community, I am wondering how the next
> > version of GeoTIFF will be adopted.
>
> Gail,
>
> The community standards group at NASA has asked me to submit
> GeoTIFF 1.0 through their process.  This would presumably give
> a mechanism to later update the specification.

I would venture to guess that POSC and EPSG are interested parties
as well, given that the codes are part of their specification.
Wonder if Roger Lott is still around...

> I don't know too much about the GeoTIFF 1.5 proposal floated
> out of JPL.

I vaguely recall putting together an interim proposal that mostly
were fixes, and some suggestions for capture accuracy ellipsoids
and the like. A request for discussion I put out way back in 2000
proposed discussing GeoKeys for data interpretation (e.g not all
pixels are electromagnetic amplitudes, but could be elevation, etc),
vertical datum, refreshing the EPSG database, etc.  Some of the
other 2.0 items were, in retrospect, ad-hoc things not worth
pursuing that we cooked up at JPL, and some had to do with making
GeoTIFF more friendly to facilitating the OpenGIS web map server
interface specs.

--
Niles Ritter <ritter at earthlink.net>