[ka-Map-users] Design goals: Combining WMS servers and launching with zoom an layer parameters?

Stefan F. Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sat May 21 07:03:58 EDT 2005

2005/5/20, Paul Spencer <pspencer at dmsolutions.ca>:
> I don't have any plans to add this but would be willing to consider
> contributions along these lines.

Sounds good! This is outstanding work you are doing. What I really
like is not only the tiling function, but the ability that the main
graphic window can be re sized for better browser integration.

Please let me add another fundamental comment on design goals: My
understanding of this JavaScript (=AJAX?) technology is, that it's
actually a critical direction from two points of view: Architecturally
this is heading to rich clients (again) and technically it's a mess
serving all these incompatible browser implementations.

*But*: There are these growing users needs, JavaScript is there and
it's fast! Alternatives? In some near future we are investigating
'rich thin clients', like ULC (http://www.canoo.com/ulc/), where
programmers stay in one environment and don't care about client-server
communication all the time.

> However, for your kind of application, you might want to consider
> MapBuilder ...

This "WMS/WMC client in a web browser" is also a good tip! Seems that
our web crawler (GeometaBot) needs some boost in order to find such
nice tools :->

Stefan