[ka-Map-users] Re: kaMap - resource hogger?

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Apr 27 06:36:26 EDT 2006

Ramesh,

there is a general problem with ajax applications that involves how
browsers garbage collection memory.  It is possible, and in fact very
easy, to set up situations where the browser is unable to release
memory of objects that have no references to them.  This is generally
called a memory leak.  It is highly likely that ka-Map has such
memory leaks because I don't really understand how to avoid them.
AJAX-related leaks are much worse in IE than firefox, so if you are
running IE and ka-Map then when your system becomes slow, check your
task manager to see how much memory the IE process is using.

There is no way that I know of to detect/eliminate leaks other than
to manually inspect the code and try to figure out where the leaks
are happening.  Due to the nature of how leaks happen (closures etc),
this is a very difficult task.  While I do try to resolve leaks as
best as possible, it is quite likely that they are still in there.

The second issue that I will bring up is that MapServer doesn't
perform that well on my laptop, mostly because laptops have
harddrives with low RPMs compared to desktop/server systems and
rendering maps (at least for mapserver) is a disk-intensive process
(reading spatial data for a large image, writing the resulting image
to the disk, then reading it again to produce tiles), and even when
tiles are generated, they have to be read off disk.

The third issue is that running the client and server on the same
machine tends to produce resource competition.  Your machine is a
single processor and it can only do one thing at a time.

But mostly I suspect memory leaks if it is impacting other
applications :)