[ka-Map-users] Segmentation fault in tile.php

David Badke dbadke at uvic.ca
Mon Feb 27 14:29:16 EST 2006

I am running ka-Map on a local Windows XP system, and now on a remote
Linux server. Both systems are running the same ka-Map code (version 0.2
with mods) and version 4.8 of MapServer/ PHP MapScript.  On the Windows
system, everything is working; on Linux, everything is working except a
label layer. All of the relevant files are the same on both systems. The
layer is:

  LAYER
    NAME "Labels"
    GROUP "Labels"
    STATUS OFF
    DATA "vicbird1878"
    TYPE ANNOTATION
    LABELITEM "LABEL"
    MAXSCALE 150
    SYMBOLSCALE 71
    CLASS
      LABEL
        TYPE TRUETYPE
        FONT "lucida-sans"
        SIZE 9
        POSITION UC
        OFFSET 0 8
        COLOR 0 0 0
        BACKGROUNDCOLOR 255 255 255
        MINSIZE 8
        MAXSIZE 10
        BUFFER 1
      END
    END
  END

There is also a raster layer and a point layer; the point layer uses the
same shape file as the annotation layer, and displays correctly on both
systems.

With TYPE TRUETYPE, I get no labels on Linux (I do on Windows). If I run
tile.php directly (on the Linux server) in Firefox (with appropriate t,
l, g, s, etc. parameters) I get an  "internal server error (500)"
response in the browser, and the server log reports a segmentation fault
(the same tile.php URL produces the correct label on the Windows
system). If I change the layer to TYPE BITMAP, I get no error but still
get no labels -- the tiles are created but are blank (white). If I use
TrueType but change the FONT to something nonexistent ("xxxxx"), there
is also no error (and of course no label), which suggests that my font
set file is OK and the "lucida-sans" font file is being found.

I noticed a problem report on the MapServer list about segmentation
faults with MS 4.8 and GD, but that had to do with antialiasing, which I
have not turned on (the server guys are looking into the bug anyway, in
case there is some antialiasing going on that I don't know about).

Anyone have any idea what might be going wrong on the Linux server? I am
getting nowhere on this...

David

--

David Badke