[ka-Map-users] Customizing ka-Map

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Jan 24 20:25:06 EST 2006

Paul et al,

I think this is a very valid question and goes to the point that I have
made in the past about establishing a public API for do things simpler
to the google mashups. I realize that a lot of the basic work that is
getting done now is establishing the infrastructure that would be need
to do an API, but I would like to see us moving in the direction of
establishing such an API. Can you imagine the chaos we would have with
php/mapscript if the developers did not manage that API. Likewise we
need a stable API for ka-map that will allow us to build applications on
top of ka-map and have clear rules for building them and stability
between releases.

You guys are all doing a fantastic job developing and adding features to
ka-map. It is really exciting to see how far it has come and the number
of developers that are making contribution. Great job!

I think using the google API or something close to it would be cool,
because that would make it easy for people to move their existing google
application over to ka-map. Also google has lots of smart people
thinking about these things and I'm not against borrowing existing ideas
if they fit and it is allowable.

Anyway, something to think about,
   -Steve