[ka-Map-users] Can someone answer this question please or tell mewho I should ask it to?

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sun Jul 30 14:06:12 EDT 2006

Samuel,

using the force option is BAD ;).  What happens here is that every
tile request causes the 'metatile' to be redrawn, which is the entire
basis for optimizing performance.  Essentially you have created the
absolutely worst case performance you possibly can by doing this.

Without force, whenever kaMap requests a tile that is not in the
cache, it will draw a large map image and slice it up into tiles.  In
doing this, it 'locks' the tile and the other tiles that would be
drawn at the same time.  This means all requests for the nearby tiles
will block while the tiles are being rendered.

When you use force, it forces EVERY request to do the same thing.  So
for 16 requests to the tiles that would normally be rendered by one
blocking operation, each one blocks and forces the large map draw
even though the new tiles have already been created.

This was the motivation behind the timestamp stuff that I added.  I
haven't tried to look into why this isn't working for you yet.  I
assume you are using the latest CVS version?