Fwd: [ka-Map-users] Pre-Rendered Tiles and Shape Highlight

Pedro Garcia pedro.gspace at gmail.com
Tue May 16 15:35:02 EDT 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Pedro Garcia <pedro.gspace at gmail.com>
Date: 16/05/2006 16:32
Subject: Re: [ka-Map-users] Pre-Rendered Tiles and Shape Highlight
To: Lorenzo Becchi <lorenzo at ominiverdi.com>

Lorenzo,

Sorry for not responding this message before, I was very
busy last month.

My point is: As I told you, I'm working in a development
of a kind of web GIS, and I will work on it
for next 3 months at least.

Our focus is on two items:
  1) Navigability, and
  2) User Interface

I'm not sure if I will be available to develop the shape-highlight
feature, because this is not the priority of our project. But,
since this is a nice feature for user navigability, this is a
desired feature. But for now, I can spend time on it.

You post in another message
(http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/ka-map-users/2006-March/001214.html
):

The first idea has been to create a layer on the fly parsing
some KML or GML. That's a good way to have polygons drawn

and persistent during the navigation. This solution can
naturally pass from a server call without creating GML.

This is the working part. Than we tried to put some
interactivity on. We created a new div with an HTML image

map capable to capture events. That's the tricky part:
Firefox works, Safari more or less, IE (as usual) not.
I left debugging to work on the tooltip stuff. Anyway
the thing could be refined: Maybe you can ask for an

additional button on the legend to select witch layer
can be highlighted.

I have a doubt when you say "create a layer on the fly parsing
some KML or GML". How this layer will be rendered? Mapserver,
PHP, or another?

I will try to read more the about KML, and GML and related
issues about this feature. I will post another message
about the new sample appication we create.

regards,

  Pedro Simonetti Garcia
  Software Engineering
  Hiparc Geoteclogogia (www.hiparc.com.br)