[ka-Map-users] Gentoo, php, php_mapscript?

Yahya Mohammad yahya at atc-me.com
Mon Nov 27 07:07:22 EST 2006

Hi,
It looks like you installed mapserver from the sources.
If you search gentoo bugzilla there is a mapserver ebuild which worked very
well for me a few months ago... It looks like it's in the main tree under
testing now: http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=mapserver . So all
you need to do is sync your portage tree, add ~x86 to you package.keywords,
set USE flags and run "emerge mapserver", without worrying about where to
place the mapscript module.
I'm using php5 without any problems. afaik the php3 name in the sources
doesn't mean anything anymore.

Regards

> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone gotten ka-map running on an updated gentoo machine?  I have
> a few questions:
>
> (1)  Gentoo has either php4 or php5 in its packaging system -- I
> figured the latest php4 would be best.  Thoughts?
>
> (2)  After I build the latest mapserver (which works to make a png),
> what exactly do I do to install mapscript such that Ka-map can use it?
>
> (2.1)  I think:  copy mapserver-dir/php3/php_mapscript.so to
> somewhere, but where is that?  Is there a standard in /usr/local so
> that I can avoid the main tree? (And I the "php3" name makes me
> nervous, too.)
>
> (2.2)  I think also: I just change the name in config to match, and
> the standard place does its magic?
>
> Thanks, and if I get it running I will post on the wiki.

Yahya Mohammad
Advanced Technologies ME FZ LLC
Dubai Media City, UAE