[ka-Map-users] maplab

Zak James zak4ms at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 11:11:16 EDT 2007

Hi Tim,

Maplab is still available at
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w/index.phtml?page=downloads.html

That version will work with any ms4w version that includes php4.
However, given that Maplab is no longer maintained, qgis is a better
option for mapfile production. If you're looking to learn about the
elements in a mapfile, Maplab may be of use, but note that it's
certainly possible to make an invalid mapfile with it.

zak

On 4/15/07, Henderson, Tim - Miami <THenderson at miamiherald.com> wrote:
> Hello kamap folk,
> Anybody have anything to say about maplab for Windows? Documentation sounds promising as an adjunct to ka-map, that you can do a lot of automated manipulation and testing of mapfiles which would be handy while I'm still so green that I keep breaking them every time i try to add something. Yet from what I see on maptools:
> A. They advise Windows users not to install it themselves but to use the version in ms4w
> B. It's not in ms4w anymore because of security issues in that old version
> C. Only the old version should be used in ms4w
> D. the old version isn't availble for download anymore because of the security issue.
>
> This adds up to not very good news if I want to try it. Anybody think it's worth finding an old version somewhere just to automate creation of mapfiles? Is there a good alternative? I do know that QGIS will make mapfiles and maybe I'll just stick with that...
> Tim Henderson, Miami

Zak James
Applications and Software Development
DM Solutions Group Inc.