[ka-Map-users] Future of ka-map?

Samuel Hiatt samhiatt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:38:34 EST 2007

Hello kaMappers!

I figured I'd chime in on this very interesting subject as the future of
kaMap will greatly influence the direction of my project's development
(which will hopefully take a great leap forward this next year!).

Yeah, there are enough people using kaMap as a fairly stable product and it
does what it does pretty well.  That is, it provides server side tile
caching along with an ajax API and sample interfaces all packaged together
in one simple box.  I started using kaMap a bit less than a year ago, I
think, and I remember it was a relatively quick way to get some data
browsable online.

I was also very excited when I read that thread from a couple months ago
about the kaMap/OpenLayers merge.  I think the kaMap js widgets could make a
great addition to the OpenLayers toolkit, and would make kaMap a much more
versatile product.  The advantage of its ease of use out-of-the-box could be
preserved by also providing tile caching and map configuration components of
kaMap as a separate product>  So maybe there'd be a kaMap-TileCache
(php-mapsript) package as well as a kaMap-MapWidgets (js) package.

I am developing an application for spatio-temporal raster visualization and
will need to make some widgets that can handle my nD layers, and when I do I
think it'd be more appropriate and relevant for me to share those
developments within a context that was more clearly separated from the
server-side tile caching/rendering tasks.

I'm very interested to see where this discussion leads.  I'd like to see
what everyone thinks of how we might best integrate kaMap with OpenLayers
and then how we should handle the rest of kaMap.

Hope y'all have happy holidays!

Sam