[ka-Map-users] New problem with seach and ñ, accents,...

Lorenzo Becchi lorenzo at ominiverdi.com
Sat Jun 23 10:36:45 EDT 2007

> Problem in search with ñ or accent:
>
> I don’t know why can’t see my text correctly when I have a search. I
> have a
> Postgis layer with the encoding LATIN1, this encoding has got ñ and
> accents
> (It is usual in the Spanish language), and when I search any text I
> can not
> see this symbols and I see the symbol ?
>
> In the KaSearch.php I can see the encoding UTF-8 but I don’t
> understand this
> code:
>
> // iconv is used only if your page encoding is different from data source
> encoding in ISO-8859-13 encoding place your code
>
> $searchstring = iconv("UTF-8", "ISO-8859-13", $_REQUEST['searchstring']);
>
> This is my problem. How can I change the encoding to see my encoding
> (LATIN
> 1)

Hola Antonio,
this is an interesting problem. I've always used datasets with english
content so I've never faced this problem.

Latin1 has ISO code ISO-8859-1 , the iconv example use the Baltic
endoding but as you can see it doesn't change that much if you use utf-8
in your page.
iconv call is useful only if you need to convert from a different page
encoding. default ka-map encoding should be utf-8.

It will make much sense, probably, if your DB could use utf-8 too. Is it
a problem of DB dimensions to you?

please, let us know if and how you solve your problem

ciao
Lorenzo