[ka-Map-users] Dynamic points on the map, can you help please?

The Bun rosario.carbone at ipl.com
Wed Oct 17 05:10:42 EDT 2007

Hi Daniel

Again my reply is not passed for some reason. Anyway I sorted out the server
side dynamic points, in a similar way as you suggested, starting with a
layer with no connection in the mapfile, I failed to have something fully
dynamic ( ie creating a layer on the fly ) but it is OK.

>  I used this approach and it works well, except I had to figure out how
>  to make mine dynamic for each user, since they did not want anybody else
>  seeing their data.

Well, I have the same problem, each user may have ( and see ) different
points and the map. I thought of two solutions: One is to adapt the server
side to cache tiles for sessions instead for application but this may
compromise performances, server space and add complexity. The other one is
adding client side objects ( as you suggested in the other post ) and
implement everything in JavaScript, yes, because I don't only have to mashup
data I also need to query my dynamic data ( by clicking on the points for
example ) and showing extra text information, I mean I may need to expand
kamap class storing coordinates and texts and need to implement something
clever in order to show the text related to a point when the user click on
the point itself. I really don't know which direction to take .... what do
you think?

Anyway the discussion is open and I'd really appreciate any contribution.=)

Kind Regards
Rosario