[ka-Map-users] problem with transparent pngs and IE

Adam Eskreis aeskreis at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 16:18:36 EST 2008

hi everyone

I am having a problem getting my tiles to load in IE when using transparent
8 bit pngs.  I am using openlayers as my frontend, and when i load the map
in firefox, it loads perfectly, but in IE it gives me all pink tiles.  I
went a step further to put one of the tile urls into IE and see if it even
came up, and it didnt, it just shows an empty image, with a red x in the top
left corner.  an example can be viewed here:

http://mapserver.nypex.com/kamap/tile.php?map=nyc&g=streets&i=png&t=-1000&l=3800&s=728125

if you put that URL into firefox, you can clearly see that it loads a tile,
but in IE it does not.  What could possibly cause this? I have tried
multiple supposed "fixes" for IE to help it support transparent pngs, but no
matter how hard i try, none of them seem to be working.  I tried downloading
hte image directly from the cache, and it loaded it fine, because it did not
have transparency yet, but when tile.php applies the transparency, IE fails
to load the image.  has anyone ever seen anything like this?  please help,
im losing my sanity

-adam