[ms4w-users] FastCGI crashes

Roland Martin roland.w.martin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 06:40:19 EDT 2006

Hi,

Just wanted to ask around about this - over the last 6 months or so, there
have been a number of queries on the mailing lists about FastCGI crashes
(including one from me a while ago - which I may have sent to the wrong
list). It seems these manifest themselves as...

- 500 Internal Server Errors
- CGI/FastCGI crashing ("needs to close" etc)
- "Premature end of script headers: php-cgi.exe" in the error logs

It seems to me that something is timing out somewhere along the line, and
this is causing the error. On our setup I can generally force the error to
occur if I tell it to load a particularly complex layer or a layer that
doesn't actually exist. Obviously it's becoming something of a nuisance as I
can't make any changes to apps without fighting through a minefield of
server errors!

>From memory this affects MS4W 2.1 (our current setup) and 1.5.1 (the
previous one) but not the version we were running before that (may have been
1.3 or 4 - sorry, I don't remember) on XP Professional.

Anyway... where was I? Oh yes, the question... I've searched through the
bugzillas, but I can't find any record of this - yet if you search the email
lists there are a number of different posts that seem to refer to this same
problem. Is it a known error? Should I upgrade to 2.2? Will that make any
difference? etc. etc.

Alternatively, do I need to change some local configuration somewhere?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers,
Roland.