[ms4w-users] MapFile vs Map Context

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Oct 23 09:58:00 EDT 2008

Keith MacLachlan wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have installed MS4W and Chameleon. I have been able to get the sample
> apps running. Now I would like to try to get my own map file running in
> these sample applications.
>

> In reviewing the Map Context approach that Chameleon seems to use I see
> that it is all based on WMS layers.
>

> I have created a Map File referencing some local MapInfo TAB files, but
> I don’t really understand how the map file relates to the context files.
>

> Can I create an application or modify the sample Chameleon applications
> to simply read a map file referencing local TAB files without a context
> file?
>

> Thanks,

Hello Keith,

Glad to hear that you are up and running with Chameleon and MS4W.

Since you are focusing on Chameleon, your best bet is to use the
Chameleon mailing list for specific Chameleon questions, where all of
the Chameleon devs and users hang-out (subscribe at
http://lists.maptools.org/mailman/listinfo/chameleon).

But I can give you my opinions here.  Yes you can modify any of the
sample Chameleon applications to point to your mapfile (e.g. change the
$szMapFile variable's value in
/ms4w/apps/chameleon/samples/htdocs/sample_basic_buttonizer.phtml).
Have fun!

FOSS4G Consulting and Training Services
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/