[MS4W-Users] MS4W Installation for MXD2map ?

Christine geo.guide at web.de
Thu Jan 10 10:34:30 EST 2013

Want to do some testing with MXD2map and had never before to do with
MapServer. According to the  documentation
<http://www.mxd2map.org/documentation/INSTALL.html#requirements>   of
MXD2map an installation of MapServer 6.01 with Java Mapscript is necessary:

/*"Important*:
... although it can be used to preview the resulting mapfiles *MS4W* does
*not provide the needed version to run MXD2map*.
... It is recommended to use the latest binary release version from
http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/ as the MapServer for MXD2Map
To run the converter you need at least the following components
- Sun Java6 SDK to build, JRE to run
- ArcGIS Desktop 10.x or ArcEngine 10.x with a valid licence enabled
- *UMN MapServer with Java MapScript-bindings* (>=6.0.1 or recent
development-version)"
/
Would like to avoid compiling an own MapServer version.

When I consult the  MapServer Download Pages
<http://mapserver.org/de/download.html#windows>   :

/"*MS4W*
MapServer for Windows from MapTools.org. .... MS4W is a complete Web
Server/MapServer/MapScript package. *MS4W includes several flavors of
MapScript (PHP, C#, Python, Java)*, and additional dlls for SDE and Oracle
support.... "/

I could assume that there is no need to build an own MapServer version for
MXD2map, because Java Mapscript is already included in MS4W. Do I understand
that right ?

Any experiences ?

Thanks a lot, Christine