[MS4W-Users] MS4W in Tile Server mode?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Mar 3 22:37:12 EST 2013

On 3/3/2013 8:54 PM, Evans, James R Civ USAF ACC 84 RADES/SCZE wrote:
> Hey thanks for the reply.  That gives me plenty to work on this week.
> So, if I installed MS4W, did MapCache come with it?  I don't see a
> separate download for it.  Also, are you indicating to me that the
> "tile server" mode in the documentation for MS4W is just not up to
> this? Thanks, James

Hi James,

I will defer to Jeff on the specifics of what is packaged in the MS4W
downloads as I'm primarily a Linux user.

So mapcache is a new generation of tile cache management that runs as an
apache module and talks to mapserver or any WMS server for the
generation of tiles. What it is really great at is that it:

1. manages a single cache of tiles
2. exposes that cache under many configurable protocols
3. can be pre-seeded or seeded as you go
4. it also has lots of cool features like it can combine tiles into a
single image or it can merge multiple layers into a single tile request.
5. and some other features

Regarding the old "tile server" mode, that was an experiment, that was
deprecated and obsoleted by mapcache. So depending on when things get
packaged and are available in MS4W, I would definitely plan on using
mapcache.

Here is a map that I built in mapserver that uses mapcache, this is on a
linux box, but it should give you and idea of what is possible.

http://imaptools.com:8080/demo/tiger-demo2.html

Best,
   -Stece