[owtchart-users] single point plots

Daniel Morissette morissette@dmsolutions.ca
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:13:10 -0400

"Otterson, Lynne" wrote:

> I would like to be able to create an x-y graph which will display a single
> y-value with all subsequent data missing, or an isolated y-value with
> missing data on either side

Basically what you would need is the ability to set a symbol to use as a
marker for each point along your line.  So if there is an isolated point
somewhere then at least its marker will show up even if there is no line
connecting to it.

Unfortunately this is not possible with OWTChart and the underlying
GDChart at the moment but I'll add it to the wish-list.

In the meantime, there is a trick you could do to produce the same
result using the COMBO_HLC_Line type:

http://www2.dmsolutions.ca/cgi-bin/owtchart?type=Combo_HLC_Line&HLCStyle=1&HLCCapWidth=10&NumSets=1&vals=!!!!!!!!5!6!!8!5!6!!8&numpts=4&ymin=0&ymax=10&ymin2=0&ymax2=10

You set HLCStyle=1 to display a diamond for the "close" value in the HLC
part. Then you pass your data points twice in the VALS parameter, once
for the HLC diamonds, and once for the Line component.  You pass only
empty values for the "hi" and "low" values of the HLC component.

HLCCapWidth is used to control the size of the diamonds, it's a
percentage of the space between two data points I think.

Finally, you need to compute yourself the ymax value of your data in
order to force both the HLC and LINE components of the chart to be on
the same scale (ymin=0&ymax=10&ymin2=0&ymax2=10)

Yes, I agree that this is a very twisted way of doing it, but it should
allow you to keep going.

Daniel
 Daniel Morissette               morissette@dmsolutions.ca