[OSRS-PROJ] MGRS?

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at erg.sri.com
Sun Apr 2 11:12:16 EDT 2000

I'd like to inquire if there's any interest in support for MGRS in the
Proj library  -- anybody else use this?

There's support in other places, but I find it awkward to use Proj for
some purposes, another library for MGRS, etc.  I can certainly take the
lead in coding/testing if thats what it takes.  I have a number of
reference sites, however I'd appreciate any pointers others may have as
well.

Note, that it unfortunately requires additional interfaces into the
library, as the MGRS coordinate is a string (typically 15 characters),
not a pair of doubles.

BTW: on a related topic, I've found the UTM support awkward to use.
Ideally, I'd like to plug in a Long/Lat pair, and get back UTM with the
"proper" zone number.   Currently, one must *know* the zone and use that
as a projection parameter.  Both behaviors are useful.  This would also
require additional interface mods.   Comments?

Rick Brownrigg