[OSRS-PROJ] PROJ4 and Krovak projection (Czech Republic)?

fnievinski2 fnievinski2 at terra.com.br
Wed Apr 3 20:18:46 EST 2002

Hi.

The Krovak projection is based on the Oblique Conic Conformal projection.
AFAICK, PROJ4 doesn't support it.

It supports the Lambert conic conformal (+proj=lcc), which has the
axis of the cone coincident with the Earth north-south axis, not
oblique. I did not find any way to make it oblique. The only
parameters it accepts are latitudes to define where the cone will cut
the globe.

There is also a "Bipolar Oblique Conic Conformal" (+proj=bipc). You
can see a picture of it at [1]. The only parameter it accepts is +ns,
"for non-skewed cartesian coordinates", and I'm not sure what it
means. If we could make a standard oblique conic conformal projection
from a bipolar, you could use it for Krovak. I don't know if it's
possible.

I'm curious about Thomas' code, especially what it uses from PROJ4.

regards,
Felipe.

[1]
http://mac.usgs.gov/mac/isb/pubs/MapProjections/projections.html#bipolar